01 March, 2009

O God, let me not -even a little- step on your glory!

from Ps. 9:1
I will praise you, O LORD, with all my heart....

"Even irreligious men, when they have obtained some memorable victory, are ashamed to defraud God of the praise which is due to him; but we see that as soon as they have uttered a single expression in acknowledgment of the assistance God has afforded them, they immediately begin to boast loudly, and to sing triumphs in honour of their own valour, as if they were under no obligations whatever to God. In short, it is a piece of pure mockery when they profess that their exploits have been done by the help of God; for after having made oblation to him, they sacrifice to their own (!) counsels, skills, courage, and resources....

...It is not praising God with the whole heart when a mortal man dares to appropriate the smallest portion of the glory which God claims for himself. God cannot bear with seeing his glory appropriated by the creature in even the smallest degree, so intolerable to him is the sacreligious arrogance of those who, by praising themselves, obscure his glory as far as they can."

(John Calvin, from his commentary on the Psalms)

~

**It occurs to me just how disdainfully Calvin's expression of (as Keith Green might put it) "stepping on God's glory" is detailed. And yet I am cut to the quick! How often do I, perhaps even in legitimate, God-enabled humility, initially express my dependence on God in this or that endeavor, give credit to him where it is due, only to turn around and as Calvin's "irreligious man" immediately take up with the notion that somehow I have brought about my own success?? I am profoundly guilty of this very offense! And WORSE! How often do I go about my ways and acknowledge him not even at all! I do not wait to be led by the Spirit (Rom. 8:14), and even when led, I do not glorify him by giving praise, except perhaps in a momentary afterthought.

The only cause I can at this moment secure by reflection is that a) I am even still truly unaware of my great need for the Lord's grace and empowering; and if Calvin's reflections are to here be trusted (and they are!), b) therefore, it reveals in me a divided heart. I am, as yet, James' "double-minded man, unstable in all his ways," (James 1:8) rather than one who, in all his ways, acknowledging God rather than leaning on his own understanding, finds that God himself has made his path straight, has "led" his steps (Prov. 3: 5-6).

My God, I am more apt to trust myself, neglect my dependence on you and rather take credit (!) for my [presumed] great insights, or understanding, or accomplishments -- I am worse than Calvin's "irreligious man" because at least he starts with giving you some credit - for fear! And I, though for LOVE'S sake!, still forget my dependence on you! How great is my desperate need! that I regularly, and without second thought!, rob you of your glory! It is NATURAL for me to be led by my own understanding, and so I am quick to seek (and give!) my own praise!

Not only does this magnify your great patience to me - that you do not give me the judgment I truly deserve for my pride! - but I am humbled, too, by the reality that in so nursing my own pride in my [perceived] successes, I simultaneously disable myself to receive your mercy and the ministry of your kindness to me in my failings - feeling only that I deserve your condemnation! My God, teach me, then, to be LED by your Spirit, so I may praise you with my WHOLE heart, and taste and see that you are GOOD (1 Peter 2:1-3).
**

No comments:

Post a Comment